Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Chasing My Dreams

Be coming a dentist is no easy task. All you have to do is sit in class and listen to boring lectures and take tests, right? Not even close. To obtain most degrees from a college you can get it with C grade. As many say “Cs get degrees”. To get into any dental school you have to have a GPA of a 3.5 or even higher in some cases. Getting a good GPA is important but that’s not all.
Michigan only has two dental schools and they are very competitive and expensive. First you can basically go to any college in Michigan since most college has a pre-dentistry program. In that college is were you need to get your 3.5 or higher GPA. In your last two years or so you take a test, DAT, which then determines if your hard work has really paid off. The DAT is like the ACT. For colleges to accept you, you must have at least a 20. The DAT is composed of four different sections: Survey of the natural sciences, perceptual ability test, reading comprehension test, and quantitative Research.
                           
The two dental schools in Michigan are University of Detroit Mercy and University of Michigan. Many people think that going to U of M’s dental school means you’re smarter but, Detroit Mercy is harder to get into and they have a higher success rate. I am hoping to attend Detroit Mercy next year for pre-dentistry as I denied their acceptance last year.
The difficultly of getting into dental school is a problem but the cost is an even bigger one. One year of dental school cost $77,000 mostly because they are a private school. I have so much on the line. If I don’t get the grades I need, thousands of dollars lost. If I don’t get an acceptable score on the DAT, thousands of dollars lost. If unexpected events in my life occur, thousands of dollars lost. Not only will I lose the dream of becoming a dentist. I will walk away with no degree.

The future is scary but I’m ready to face the challenge and chase my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment